Monday, October 7, 2013

Photographing Plays in Difficult Lighting

I had my first experience photographing a play at Cardinal Stritch University Sunday, October 6th. I knew that finding the right angles for the various scene shots may be difficult, but forgot about the hardships of lighting. 
Stage lights can be hard to shoot under because of the typical high contrast they create and also the inability to use flash. Compensating for the harshness of the lighting or the lack there of in some instances was a challenge but I believe I overcame it well. By adapting my ISO, usually keeping it between 400-800, slowing my shutter speed down and adjusting my aperture accordingly, I was able to effectively capture the actors in the scenes in this difficult lighting. Though some graininess and hot areas occurred due to the means of lighting available, those are elements that I can work through to produce good images for the theatre department.
All in all, I think it was a great experience and helped me learn more ways to deal with and conquer difficult or limited lighting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment