Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Photografiska





This past 2013 summer I traveled to Sweden, as I do every summer with my family. For the second time, I was able to visit the Photografiska in Stockholm-- the world's largest photography museum. The first time I was there I was fortunate enough to see Sally Mann's work and this time I was there for Helmut Newton's.
Though I am drawn more to work that is of documentary nature, I was very intrigued by his work. Shooting for many famous fashion magazines, such as Elle, Vogue and Queen, his photography was not only beautiful fashion photography, but was provocative and, therefore, innovative for his time. He brought the world of fashion photography to a new level by creating images of erotic, powerful and strong women/models, which often times included nudity.
I was fortunate to have seen Newton's exhibition this summer as it helped me learn about a past, important part of the history of photography. I highly recommend this exhibition if anyone is visiting Stockholm before the summer's end.
http://en.fotografiska.eu/The-Museum/Current-Exhibitions/Helmut-Newton

No comments:

Post a Comment